As I mentioned in the previous post, hair porosity is very important in properly caring for your hair. This porosity level means that your hair cuticle layers are tight and lay flat. This hair is generally healthy but difficult to process. However, bad hair practices may increase your hair porosity such as; excessive washing, combing, styling, applying heat etc. Please handle your hair gently and less often to avoid this. Below are a few characteristics of how low hair porosity behaves.
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links, which means I may earn some money if you click on one. Read the full disclaimer
Low Porosity Characteristics
- Resistant to water because of the tightly closed hair cuticles
- Hair takes a long time to dry
- Water beads up on hair
- Hair generally looks healthy
- Hair lacks elasticity
- Shinny appearance of hair
- Protein sensitive (which means that it contains a significant amount of protein, using protein treatments and leaving them too long because your hair may break or become stiff from protein overload)
Tips for low porosity hair care
On wash day (shampoo & conditioning)
Background: I struggle with build up and dandruff. I have found the apple cider vinegar rinses to be really helpful.
- Use warm water on last rinse to open hair cuticles
- if you notice that you struggle with build up, use a clarifying shampoo/moisturizing shampoo (apple cider vinegar rinse will aid in removing scalp build up)
- When deep conditioning, use heat (steamer, heat cap, hooded dryers,shower cap with a towel wrapped around) to aid the product to penetrate the hair shaft
- Used a light to medium water base leave in conditioner to avoid product build up.
- Use a light creamy moisturizer containing coconut oil. (if allergic to coconut oil, use may substitute with olive oil)
- Use light oils such as jojoba, grapeseed and olive oil
- A daily water spritz consisting of 1 part vegetable glycerin, 9 parts water
A combination of these tips in a dedicated and consistent manner will be helpful in managing your lovely hair. If you have low porosity hair, I would love to hear your feedback as well as tips that you are currently using. Please share in the comments below.
See you next time.
*Remember, You are marked by Flawless Craftsmanship*